my week on route
This week was a pretty fun week on route.
I thought I'd share a few stories that popped up in my 'route journal'. It's a book that we pass around to each community so that they can communicate with eachother.
This time I asked some questions for them to answer. These involved the funniest language misunderstanding, the best and worst songs, the best and weirdest foods, and what time they've been woken up by what weird food.
I answered them first and I couldn't think of any recent mistakes in spanish, but I wrote about one in french. When I first got to france I thougght it would be reeeally french to say thank you in what I thought was a very french accent-- which, came out sounding like: merci beaucou... little did I know what that actually meant was... thanks, nice ass. I had gone around saying this for a month and a half before charlotte kindly informed me that instead of complimenting shopkeepers rears I should be saying thank you very much... sheesh.
anyway, jackie, is now called jackie chan by her entire community because she asked if she could "ducharse" which isn't used in mexico, it's 'banarse'... the family thought she was saying "lucharme" which means to fight! so now they do punching moves and call her jackie chan constantly.
The vols are cute and the stuff that they write in the journal is really precious. It's interesting how they form these bonds with people that they barely know... I mean the sups have to pass around these notes that they're sending to kids that they have known for 3 days (in briefing)...
All of my vols are doing well.. except for maybe 2. one is really unhappy here, and we talked for a long time about what would make her happy. I knew I'd have to play shrink at some point, and with her is definitely the time... The other one doesn't like kids. weird. since it's a youth to youth project... I think when you're a sup you learn to come up with these wacky solutions to kids problems...
The wedding in one of my communities got cancelled for this weekend. which is a bummer. It was going to be my first mexican wedding.... since I didn't go to the other one. hehe
Anyway, i'm off to get a pedicure today. these feet are nasty.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home